Essential Oils…what they are ‘essentially.’
A few years ago, I didn’t know hardly anything about what essential oils really were, or why they are so beneficial. So what are essential oils? I have worked hard to learn more about them and why they are so effective. Here is a basic summary of some amazing things that I have learned. Essential oils are ‘oils’ that are found on and in plants that the plant uses for it’s health and vitality. Not only do essential oils benefit plants, and are beautifully fragrant to people, essential oils have been used throughout history for their many benefits. With modern technology, we now are able to extract the oils in their purest and most potent form. Modern scientific study and trends toward more holistic approaches to health and wellness are driving a revival and new discovery of essential oil health applications.
Here are some of the key points to why essential oils work with our bodies in healing and wellness.
- Essential oils are not really oils – Essential oils are non water-based phytochemicals made up of volatile aromatic compounds. Although they are fat soluble, they do not include fatty lipids or acids found in vegetable and animal oils. Essential oils are very clean, almost crisp, to the touch and are immediately absorbed by the skin.
- Essential Oils are tiny – All essential oil molecules are volatile because their dimensions are small and their atomic weights are all less than 500 amu. In fact, most are less that 300 amu. Any oil with a molecular size less than 500 can penetrate the human skin, follow nerve paths, traverse the meridians, pass through the blood brain barrier, and administer therapy at the cellular levels, including the level of cellular memory and DNA. 
- Essential Oils are potent – Because of the tiny molecular structure of the components of an essential oil, they are extremely concentrated. One drop contains approximately 40 million-trillion molecules. Numerically that is a 4 with 19 zeros after it: 40,000,000,000,000,000,000. We have 100 trillion cells in our bodies, and that’s a lot. But one drop of essential oil contains enough molecules to cover every cell in our bodies with 40,000 molecules. Considering that it only takes one molecule of the right kind to open a receptor site and communicate with the DNA to alter cellular function, you can see why even inhaling a small amount of oil vapor can have profound effects on the body, brain, and emotions. 
- Essential Oils are unique – Essential oils are mixtures of dozens of constituents, all of which are composed of carbon and hydrogen and sometimes oxygen. All essential oils are principally composed of a class of organic compounds built of “isoprene units.” An isoprene unit is a set of five connected carbon atoms with eight hydrogens attached. Their molecular weight is only 68 amu, which is very small, indeed. Molecules built of isoprene units are all classified as “terpenes.” Terpenes are what make essential oils unique in the world of natural substances. 
- Essential Oils are a triple threat – Essential oils deliver a triple punch combination of “PMS” (Phenylpropanoids, Monoterpenes, and Sesquiterpenes). These compounds found in essential oils are very powerful in addressing many illnesses, injuries, and disease conditions because: First, you clean the receptor sites allowing the proper transfer of hormones, peptides, neurotransmitters, steroids, and other intracellular messengers. (The Phenylpropanoids do that.) Second, you de-program or erase the wrong information from cellular memory stored in the DNA. (The Sesquiterpenes take care of that.) Third, you reprogram the cells with the correct information so they can function properly. (The Monoterpenes do this.) These three classes of chemical components are why essential oils can sometimes affect a body in a way that is nearly instant and also permanent. What they simply do is to restore the body back to its natural state of balance and health. While a specific oil may have one or two of these three classes of compounds as its predominant chemistry, all the Biblical oils contain some of all of them. This is one secret to their amazing abilities. 
- Essential Oils contain energy – All essential oils have an electromagnetic Frequency. Rose oil measured at 320 MHz (the highest). Lavender is 118 MHz and peppermint is 78 MHz. A healthy human body has been measured at 62 – 68 MHz, while if you have a cold your energy can drop to 58 MHz. Cancer can begin to take off when our frequency drops below 42MHz. Death begins at 25 MHz.  So clearly, keeping our electromagnetic frequency high is what helps our bodies to stay healthy and strong. By applying an oil with 118 MHz while we are not feeling optimal or functioning at say 50 MHz, it can very quickly have a drastic affect as it is integrated into our system and naturally raise our electromagnetic Frequency.
Using essential oils is profoundly simple and life changing at the same time. Working with someone who has used essential oils before will help first-time users have a more beneficial and enjoyable experience. A large amount of information is readily available for those desiring to increase their knowledge of essential oil applications. (Be sure to use only 100 percent pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils and follow all label warnings and instructions. Essential oils should not be used in the eyes, inside the ear canal, or in open wounds. If redness or irritation occurs when using essential oils topically, apply any vegetable oil, such as fractionated coconut oil or olive oil, to the affected area. Consult your physician before using essential oils if you are pregnant or under a doctor’s care.)
Harvesting these powerful tools without damaging or altering their original properties is a very delicate and specific process that has been perfected over time.
The Chemistry of Essential Oils Made Simple – pg. 111
THE BLOOD-BRAIN BARRIER – David Stewart, Ph.D.,R.A.